Saturday 26 February 2011

Where I intend it to start...


I am now at a stage of a person’s life, where the education system has either succeeded or failed me. A cross roads where a decision of what to do for the rest of your life haunts every move you make. I know I am destined for success, I just need to figure out how to get it.
You attend countless interviews, turned down by some, failed by recruitment agencies who forget to tell you that a job offer has been made; and after no response the role is handed over to the next candidate. After a while, you start to consider what life would be like working in retail day in day out, till you hit retirement. I swore to myself this would not be the case – so starting a new era – I went back to the gym, started a voluntary placement at the local radio station, and spent my days searching for the right job.
Then it came – 6 months after leaving university I applied for an internship with a high profile businessman. I walked into the interview confident, passionate, and dedicated, “I was going to get this placement”. After showing them some of my work, I was asked to submit a piece of writing; giving them a feel for my written style. (This was a Thursday) (Email) “Can you start Monday?”
First thoughts of a good impression when working in London do not start with the answer “well could I possible start Tuesday, as there is a tube strike Monday?”
After receiving no answer – I quickly identified the best route to arrive on time, or nearest to. Worried that on my first day I would be turning up late was not something I wanted to do. Luckily, it was all fine and I would be starting a month’s agreed internship in a Mayfair business.

No comments:

Post a Comment