Saturday 25 July 2015

A Year in bed, and I am finally now waking up - Summer 2014

I attended the wedding of one of my oldest friends, from the moment she walked down the aisle to the point where her Dad read out the first line of his speech, I did not stop balling my eyes out! 


The first one of my friends to flee the nest. It felt rather strange, someone of my age able to own a house and get married. I still see myself as a young fresh faced teen with mummy and daddy to support me. It got my thinking… when am I going to start doing something productive with my life….. I

 found out towards the end of last year, that our parents and their parents’ generation has totally screwed us all over to ever be able to afford mortgage repayments as a single person. It is that unwritten rule, that I discover every single day….. to buy a house, to go on more holidays than your friends, to do most things you need the commitment of a long term partner. Well, when your track record consists of dating A***h***** you're not going to find that happy ending!

Soo…naturally…. I found myself getting to know the best man…. We spent a few months getting to know each other, and for the first time in a long time, I thought.. this could actually turn into something. I planned a lovely evening in London only to find I would be spending it with a friend instead. I received countless apologies throughout the evening into the weekend. I finally decided to pull together some unaffected response, and leave it at that. I should have known to leave it there, but he did the one thing that I said I no longer wanted to do, I had spent the last year finding myself a little, finding comfort in the bed of some stranger.

Back tracking January 2014 - I dumped the one guy who I met last New Years Eve who could have actually been the most decent guy I had met I in a long while, for “The Dentist” I considered him an upgrade. But in the circumstances, he seemed to have it all, and I wanted it! The moment you meet someone in a bar, and one nicknamed the “meat market”, where all the Londoners flee for some after work drinks and….. – let’s face facts, it was not going to be Prince Charming!!

I saw my sister tie the knot with her now husband…. In the venue I would have chosen. Knowing that when it comes to style we are at opposite ends of the spectrum - this choice of venue could have melted any girls heart…. We were blessed with the most perfect weather….surrounded by people we love, even those who had trouble attending.
Seeing my Grandma who now expresses a very vacant look of expression, remembering the time she grew up in….. where courting was high on any man’s agenda. Glancing at my sister-to-be’s grandparent’s well in their 90’s still happily married and wishing that one day despite my façade of jokes, I will to meet my Mr Right and grow old and grey with him.
 I have had more attention (not always good) in the last year than a boys PlayStation at Christmas… but technology these days is very short-lived much like my dating life!  


No comments:

Post a Comment